Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Gatte ki sabji | Gatta Curry | Chickpea flour dumplings in yogurt gravy | Marwadi cusine

Hi Peeps
Gatte ki sabji

For the day two of blogging marathon, no onion no garlic theme, sharing my favorite gatte ki sabji. If you have not tasted this, you definitely have missed something. I had not made this for quiet a while, and DH thought i dont know how to make it. Maybe it was always MIL who prepared it..I thought i need to remind DH of my culinary skills..ha ha just kidding. But to tell you the truth, this came out so amazing, hubby could not stop complementing. And I was all happy happy :)
Roll the gatta dough 
Boil the gatta

Cut the boiled gatte
Shallow fry gatte
INGREDIENTS-

For making gatta-
Gram flour-1.5 cup
Yoghurt-2 tbsp
Oil-3 tbsp
Asafoetida- a pinch
Baking soda- a pinch
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
Coriander seeds- 1 tsp
Carom seeds/ajwain- a pinch of
Chili powder- 1 tsp
Salt- 1 tsp

For the gravy-
Yoghurt- 1.5 cup
Green chilies- 2
Grated ginger-1 /2 tsp
Chili powder-1 tsp
Coriander powder-1 tsp
Turmeric- 1/2 tsp
Garam masala- 1/4 tsp
Salt-1 tsp
Tempering-
Refined oil-3 tbsp
Cumin seeds- 1tsp
Fenugreek seeds- 1/4 tsp
Cloves -2
Bay leaf- 1
Asafoetida- 1/4 tsp

PROCEDURE-
For GATTA-
Coarsly crush coriander and  fennel seeds to add in the gatta dough (optional).
In a bowl add gram flour,crushed seeds and all the ingredients listed for making gattas.
Mix and make a tight dough,add some more yoghurt if needed.
Make 6 balls from the dough and roll them to make long and medium thick rolls.
Boil 2.5 glasses of water in a pan ,when it starts boiling then add the rolls in it.
Boil for around 5-7 minutes ,they will float on top of water when done.
Take out gatta from the pan and let them cool down for 5 minutes.don't throw the water, you will need this to add in the gravy.
Slice into medium size pieces and keep aside

For GRAVY-
Heat oil in a pan and add cumin,fenugreek,asafoetida and cloves .Add the gatta pieces. Stir fry them till it becomes little crispy. Add all the spices turmeric,coriander and chili powder. You can have these gatte like this..they taste awesome! You can store some in frizer and use later.
REMOVE the pan from heat and add whisked yoghurt and stir for a while ,now put the pan on fire and saute for a minute.
Now add approx. 1 cup water(in which you have boiled the gattas) and cook for some time,keep stirring the gravy
When gravy start boiling add the sliced gattas after 2 minutes.
Simmer for 3-5 minutes.add garam masala and fresh coriander. Serve hot.

Gatte ki sabji


Also sending this to
http://www.simplysensationalfood.com/2014/11/announcing-eventlets-cook-with-yoghurt.html?m=1

17 comments:

  1. I have tried a variation of this dish and it was a hit. All the ingredients go so well with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this curry but never tried at home. Thank you for sharing !! I think I should join a cooking SAL because I haven't been cooking new dishes. My husband and daughter will be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such an authentic one!! very well made!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. New recipe for me. Looks great and nice click

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love gatte ki sabzi alot and make them often as my native is rajasthan :) delicious recipe dear !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love gatte ki sabzi..can have that bowl right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can finish that bowl of gatte ki sabji just like snacks..delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love gatte ke sabji! This is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, i have not taste this curry. Need to make it soon. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this gatte ki subji. So delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was looking for some interesting recipes for my house warming when I stumbled upon your Rajasthani Gatta Curry recipe. I will surely include it for the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Thanks for the Gatta Curry Recipe . Your recipe is exactly what I was looking for, simple yet elegant.

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback/comments are most welcome..

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...